BY  OLAPEJU OLUBI

The Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB) has released its preliminary report on the July 23 accident involving an Enugu Air aircraft at the Oba Akenzua II Airport, Benin, Edo State.

The Embraer ERJ 170-100LR aircraft, with registration number 5N-ENR, was operating Enugu Air flight ENU4264 from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, to Benin when it overran the runway shortly after landing.

The accident occurred at about 2:55pm, with 63 passengers and five crew members on board.

According to the preliminary report released by the NSIB on Friday, the aircraft landed on Runway 05 at the Benin airport but continued beyond the end of the runway and entered the unpaved area.

The aircraft subsequently struck approach-lighting installations and two fixed concrete structures linked to a decommissioned localizer installation.

Despite the impact, all 68 people on board were evacuated safely using the aircraft’s emergency escape slides, with no injuries reported.

The NSIB said the preliminary report contains factual information gathered so far from witness accounts, flight recorders, air traffic control communications and an initial inspection of the aircraft.

It stressed, however, that the investigation is still ongoing and that further technical examinations are being carried out.

The Bureau said the report has also resulted in four immediate safety recommendations, identified as A-2026-039 to A-2026-042.

The recommendations were directed to the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) and the Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMet).

They relate to issues around the environment at the end of the runway, visibility from the control tower and the availability of weather information needed for flight operations.

The NSIB said the recommendations were issued as part of efforts to address safety concerns identified during the early stages of the investigation, rather than waiting for the final report.

The Bureau has also released a preliminary recreation of the aircraft’s flight path based on information available to investigators at this stage.

The video is intended to help the public and aviation stakeholders understand the aircraft’s movement during the incident, although the NSIB cautioned that the information may be revised as more evidence becomes available.

The Bureau said the full preliminary report and the flight-path recreation are available to the public and the media through its website.

Explaining the purpose of the investigation, the NSIB said it was not intended to determine who was responsible for the accident.

“In accordance with Annex 13 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, the sole objective of the investigation is the prevention of accidents and incidents. It is not the purpose of the investigation to apportion blame or liability,” the Bureau said.

The NSIB also warned that the preliminary findings should not be treated as the final conclusion on what caused the accident.

“The information contained in the preliminary report is subject to further review and analysis, and its content may still change,” it said.

The final report, according to the Bureau, will contain its conclusions after all aspects of the investigation have been completed, as well as any additional safety recommendations considered necessary.

The July 23 incident attracted attention because it involved a passenger aircraft carrying 68 people, although the outcome was not fatal and no injuries were recorded.

The successful evacuation of all passengers and crew without injury was a significant factor in the incident, while the preliminary safety recommendations point to wider issues concerning runway safety, airport infrastructure, air traffic control visibility and access to weather information.

The NSIB said its investigation would continue until all relevant technical and operational evidence had been examined.

The preliminary report was signed by Mrs Funke Adebayo-Arowojobe, Director of Public Affairs and Family Assistance at the Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau.

Share with friends

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *